Friday, August 08, 2014

Bloody Mary's!

It's Friday and it's happy hour, so we're looking for big things in the future.  Coming up this September for all you Bay Area folks is the Bloody Mary Festival.  The event will be held on Sunday, September 28 from 1 - 4 pm (expecting you to party hard Saturday, therefore needing the Bloody Marys). Tickets are selling fast, as the "early bird" price is already sold out.

If you've read my previous "BoozeQuest" on the subject of Bloody Mary's (on the now defunct site SorryIGotDrunk.com), you'd know that with extensive research I have become quite the Bloody Mary aficionado.  The Festival boasts an expert panel, yet I wasn't consulted.  But I'm sure they will have a great amount of discussion and debate over what makes a great Bloody Mary.

Okay, I'll let you know my opinion since the BoozeQuest post is now shut down (I'll repost it soon): for you home bartenders, a bleu-cheese-stuffed olive makes a great addition, and if you have to use a mix, use Mr. and Mrs. T's.  But some of the best Bloody Mary's I've had had neither of those qualities.  In the Bay Area, you must try their famous version at The Bull Pen in Guerneville, CA.  But in L.A., The Lobster has the best, with a huge jumbo shrimp as their accoutrement.  Happy drinking and maybe I'll see you at the Festival!

No comments: