Friday, March 03, 2006

Dumpster Drama: Act XI

Time for another Dumpster Drama:
With all the rain happening in SoCal ("all the rain" being a day and a half of it) it's been particularly cold and dreary in the early mornings.

This morning at about 4:30 AM I was awaken by the sounds of light tinkling, like little bells. I sat up and let the fog in my head clear, when I realized that it was bottles clinking.

I got up and looked out the window to see a hooded figure peering in to the dumpster searching for bottles and cans. As the hooded figure turned to put the found items into a bag, I saw that it was an older woman. She worked steadily in the cold and rain, searching for more bottles and cans, putting them in her bag, going back in to the dumpster for more.

I settled back in to my bed and had trouble going back to sleep. I thought how often I complained about my life. Sometimes I wish I lived in a bigger apartment, had nicer clothes, or had more money. But seeing that woman huddled over the dumpster in the rain at 4 AM, I had to thank God that I was lucky enough that morning to have a warm bed to curl up in.

And...Curtain.

No comments: